Sunday, May 23, 2010

Are We Up or Down Today?

     Man, some days are just better than others.  It's a fact of life.  Getting up is a frigging chore.  You wonder, how in the hell do I keep going?  I mean, literally?  What's keeping my heart pumping, my lungs inflating?  How do I get down the stairs without my first cup of coffee?  It's Monday, I'm staring at the week ahead.  It all sucks.  None of my endorphin pumps are working.  Holy crap.
     Sometimes, it's just going to be like that.  There is absolutely nothing you can do about it.  You walk in the door at work, you don't want to talk to anybody.  Customers irritate you.  You can't find your damn cash drawer keys, your name tag fell off somewhere, and the boss is having that cranial rectal displacement problem again.  
     When I was 20 something, it was harder to work through these things.  Of course, when I was 20 something, I don't remember having days like this.  Or those nights when you can't sleep because some nameless dread is gnawing at your insides while your mind betrays you by constantly running through an endless litany of irritations and anxieties.
     Then some days you go out the door on top of the world.  You have the same bills staring you in the face.  You still have no idea how you are going to get your wife through that last semester of school and still pay the PG&E bill. The boss is still a self-serving moron.   Nothing has changed in your life.  Yet you walk out the door to face another day feeling like a kid on the first day of summer vacation.  
     I was having a conversation with one of my customers just the other day on this very subject.  We were talking about how some days it feels like your only goal is to get one foot in front of the other.  Other days, everything feels good.  My customer said "That's just life."
     And you know, it really is as simple as that.  We all go through this crap.  Why?  Because it's life, baby.  Nobody feels things just like you do, but we're all on the same emotional see-saw.  Put your head down and deal with it, because tomorrow will undoubtedly be brighter.
     And for God's sake, try not to piss too many people off on your way to the next peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment